Monday, July 20, 2015

Weekly Challenge #227 GUEST BLOGGER Lee Darter, CZT

Challenge: Circus Life

Hello to all the Diva challenge followers! I am Lee Darter CZT #15. The Diva was at my training seminar as the key note speaker and I was so inspired by her story. I have been tangling for 8 years. I took my first workshop with Suzanne McNeill in Texas 2008. I was hooked, it was like the mother ship calling me home. I felt the same way when I got certified. It is an amazing experience to be around so much talent. I did not want to leave. 

My challenge is based on our annual family beach trip to Florida where we have a house. We will be on Anna Maria Island near the summer home of the Ringling Brothers winter home and museum in Sarasota. 

What do you think of when you think of the circus?

I think of fun, striped tents and lots of action and movement.  

For my guest challenge, create a tile using the tangles Cack by  Adele Bruno and Tropicana by Kate Ahrens. 

Then just just like a 3 ring circus - chose from either Florz, Linq by Lara Williams or Fescu to add a third element to your design. 






Lee and her son
I am an elementary school art teacher and have been teaching for 20 years. I have a BFA in advertising art an a MEd in art education. I was voted Northern Virginia Art Educator of the year in 2014. In addition to being a public school teacher, I teach Zentangle at the Candy Factory (Center for the Arts) in Manassas, Virginia and the Workhouse in Lorton, Virginia. I also have a morning Zentangle club for 3rd, 4th and 5th grade students at my school Cedar Point Elementary. The teachers and the parents of the club kids have seen a real change in their attitudes and behavior. 

Aside from Zentangle I am also a mixed media, bookbinding, printmaking and paper mache artist. 
I am also the president of the Ron Abney Educational Fund. We provide full college scholarships for Takeo, Cambodian
orphans who graduate from high school. This is a charity I inherited from my father-Ron Abney who lived and worked in Cambodia. 

my blog is:     artroomblog.blogspot.com

If you have a blog, add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here) Also, please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;) 
If you have a blog or host your images on line (like on Flickr or Picassa or Pinterest), add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here) Also, please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;)

35 comments:

  1. I am so honored to be the guest blogger this week. Laura and her family are such and inspiration...I hope you enjoy the Circus challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lee, I enjoyed reading your blog and I enjoyed the challenge too. It used two patterns I use a lot, Fescu and Florz, one that I like and use now and then, Tropicana and one I avoid because I struggle with it, so this was fun, easy, hard, qucik and painstaking all at once.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so happy you enjoyed the challenge! Fun, easy, hard, quick and painstaking all at once was what I was going for!

      Delete
  4. This one was a real challenge for me ... thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you enjoyed the Challenge Kreanimo!
      Lee Darter

      Delete
  5. All I could think of was chains and cages. So that's what I drew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorry you are upset by the Diva challenge topic I chose. I hope you do not hold Laura in a bad way for my decision of the circus. I also want you to know that I love animals, I own 2 dogs and have a backyard full of wild animals that come visit my studio. I grew up going to see the wintered animals of Ringling in Satasota and it is a great memory of my father who always took me there. The animals were all outside where we could see them roam around. It always seemed to me that the animal trainers loved their animals so much. You should also know that Ringling is moving away from using wild animals in there shows and will discontinue using elephants all together. Please read the following article from National Geographic and again I am sorry you found this challenge offensive.
      Lee Darter

      http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2015/03/150305-ringling-bros-retires-asian-elephants-barnum-bailey/

      Delete
    2. I gave it a go. Can't help but feel a bit left out despite my convictions. :)
      Sarah

      Delete
    3. Sarah,
      Please do not feel left out. Your convictions are admirable! Sometimes when we are willing to put ourselves out there we are sometimes out there alone. But that is what this world needs, more people like you who are willing to take a stand on things that are important. I am the president of a charity and I sometimes have to put myself out there and even though I know I am right it is still hard to do.
      With love and respect,
      Lee Darter

      Delete
  6. Hello from one of your students, Lee! I enjoyed this challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sidney! I love the way you brought Tropicana and Florz together, it looks like a big top! We are having a Zentangle Retreat class in 2016 you will have to come!!! It will be all the advanced students and some CZTs. So glad you enjoyed the challenge!

      Delete
  7. to Anita Aspfors Westin again.....I was not able to comment on you blog but I just wanted you to know I love the different sizes you used on the Tropicana. It is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words! I liked this challenge very much. It introduced me to a pattern I have not tried before: Tropicana. I like the simplicity in it and I will use it again and again. The pattern in itself has so many possibilities! I love it!

      Delete
  8. Fun challenge and I learned two new (to me) tangles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you learned new tangles that is always fun!
      Lee Darter

      Delete
  9. Thanks for the great challenge Lee. I too learned a new tangle, Tropicana which I really like. I love how you shaded Florz in your post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you liked it! Tropicana is one of my favorite tangles and I just love seeing how everyone used it!
      Lee Darter

      Delete
  10. Lee, thanks for giving us our weekly dose of the Diva's challenge!!! :0) What a fun switch over from last week's simplicity!! I really had fun!!!! Wow, I loved reading your blog post and all the amazing history with the Circus! Thank you for sharing your passion and your amazing talents!!! You introduced me to two tangles that I had never done before! Have an awesomely cool week! :0) Annette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you enjoyed it! Tropicana is one of my favorite tangles. This has been so much fun getting to know all the Diva Challenge peeps!
      Lee Darter

      Delete
  11. I had SO much fun with this one - thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really glad you enjoyed it!
      Lee Darter

      Delete
  12. A fun challenge! When my daughter saw it she said it looked like peppermint candy and a candy cane forest. Tropicana and Cack were new to me. I'm learning a lot----I consider this a new skill as I've only been doing it since January. Now to go look at the other links!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you picked up some new tangles. I love your banner on your blog!
      Lee Darter

      Delete
  13. I found this one to be very challenging! Thank you for pushing me a bit out of my comfort zone with these tangle choices. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always glad to be pushy!! haha - I am glad you enjoyed the challenge
      Lee Darter

      Delete
  14. I just added my first entry ever! :) This was a great challenge, thanks Lee!!!

    http://sabrina-untangled.blogspot.fi/2015/07/the-diva-challenge-227.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am so glad I could be your first challenge, how exciting! I loved your tile,
    Lee Darter

    ReplyDelete
  16. @martine di giusto
    I was not able to comment on your blog but I love the originality of your tiles, nice work!
    Lee Darter

    ReplyDelete
  17. I started this tile early this week, and then forgot to finish and post it. Not sure how "circusy" it is, but it does answer the challenge: Cack, Tropicana, and Florz.Thanks for the challenge, I enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Clare H.---- I was not able to comment on your tile page but I just wanted you to know I loved your interpretation of Circus. Very nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sigrig...I was not able to post on your blog but I wanted you to know that I love the one of the comments on your blog that your work looked like a Steam-punk circus..that is just what it looks like. Nice work. And I love your Zendala too!
    Lee Darter

    ReplyDelete

tangle me some zen, baby!!