Monday, February 24, 2014

Weekly Challenge #156

Happy Monday everyone!
First of all, as always - a few house keeping items:
  • If you're NEW here I've created a few tutorials to help you out. You can click on the links above or:   See "Getting Started" and "Tutorials"
  • To see all the past weekly challenges - click the tabs above (they are updated sporadically, please bear with me)
  • Please grab the button for the Weekly Challenge (on the right sidebar) to display on your blogs! share the fun!
  • The limit of submissions to the slideshow is TWO, but please feel free to post as many as you like to your blogs. A note about entering your images for the slideshows: Those of you without blogs or image sharing sites like flickr or picasa, please continue to email your images to weeklychallenge at mail dot com (not gmail, just mail). Everyone else - Please PLEASE PLEASE submit your SITE SPECIFIC URL in the linkey machine. I understand if sometimes you forget, that's fine. Compiling the slideshows is a lot of work, so any help in this regard is appreciated. Also, please do not use the Weekly Challenge as a way to drive traffic to your website if you are not participating. not cool.
  • i have set up a newsletter, sorta. You can subscribe to it HERE or in the Subscribe tab above! Now, the idea for this newsletter is NOT to send one each Monday before the challenges. That is too much work.  But i thought it might try to write a newsletter once a month-ish... Frankly, people kept asking me if i had a newsletter, so i thought i'd give it a try.
  • I know that some of you have told me that the paypal button does not work, and some of you have had no trouble, i'm not sure why it's inconsistent, I've just redone the code...again.... If all else fails you can donate to my paypal address which is madam_diva (a t) yahoo (d o t) com
Hello my Tangly friends!!

Can i just quickly say, before we even start... that i am SOOOO glad it's monday.  ;)

Chewie has been home from school all week - it's February Break up here in the Skatch - so kids have had the whole week off.  yaaaayyy...  O_O

My girlfriend asked me if i could watch her little baby for a few hours while she took her daughter to an appointment.  I was happy to do it and got in some much needed baby cuddles.

Chewie was pretty excited to hold the baby
 It's been so long since i had to handle infant cries and needs. lol.  i spent a good chunk of time swaying back in forth in a dark bathroom with the shower running so the little man would sleep.  :)

cute little bean!
With no reason to get up and going this week, the boys and i had a few cuddly times watching tv in "the Big Bed" (a.k.a. mom and dad's bed)

i'm not sure why chewie is eating artoo's hands.... brothers, who knows??
Artoo and Chewie had a lot of fun pretending to be a chicken, by putting this rotisserie chicken packaging on their heads.  Why this made them chickens, i'm not entirely sure - but hey, when the boys are playing together, away from me, doing their own thing - i don't ask questions.  i just take pictures.

The cutest little chicken you ever did see.
Some days were a little cabin fevery (it's still pretty cold here - average temps this week were about -15C or so), some days were nicer... and we had some fun times, but like i said - i'm glad it's Monday.  :)
Smiley-Face Mac-n-Cheese is my specialty!!

Weekly Challenge #156: "Curvy Gridlock"

A while back, i received an email from a challenge participant sending me her submission - and she said, in passing, that she wasn't very good at grid-based tangles because she couldn't draw a straight line.  Who ever said grids need to be straight?

Well, this week the challenge is to try grid-based patterns on curvy or uneven grids.  Feel the freedom of not being constrained in right angles!!

Curvalicious!

Good luck and happy tangling!
If you have a blog, add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here) Also, please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;) 
If you don't have a blog but still want to participate, you can email your tile to me and i will put it in the slideshow. (send submissions to: weeklychallenge at mail.com[not gmail, just mail]. I just ask that you put in the subject line: Challenge # ________ 
The deadline for each weekly challenge is Saturday night so that i can round everyone up by Sunday. What this means is that i will stop adding tiles to the slideshow on Sunday. You're still more than welcome to do the challenges and add your name to the linkey machine. - although to be honest the deadline is pretty forgiving.
 I will be more diligent with the linkey machine - by editing out the ones that don't work, the doubles, the links that lead to nowhere, the links that go just to blog home pages (this is why we need those site specific urls), and the spam. And there is some spam. PLEASE do not put your *home* page in the linkey machine... please? for me??

29 comments:

  1. Lovely! I am hopeless at straight lines too and always delighted that Zentangle lends itself so well to curvy! Great challenge. Thanks as always for this and the little glimpse into your life. Love to you all,
    Axxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, I was first! And not because I've been sat here refreshing the page for hours waiting for the challenge to come up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the curve challenge....it is just what I needed. You have such an eye for beauty, your tiles are always so inspiring, as is your life! Have a great week Laura.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice challenge looking forward to it. thank you

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not as easy as I thought. But gave it a shot anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Laura, I love your curvalicious!!! As always enjoyed the pics. You had me for a minute!! When I saw the new little baby I had to think for a minute!! He looks like he could fit right in your little family!!! Oh and I had to laugh when I saw the challenge, because I thought oops that is my punishment for messing up on the link machine last week.lol just kidding. Anyway, your grid work is lovely!! ;0) Share Humanity

    ReplyDelete
  7. Had more trouble than I expected but it was a rough day. Thanks for the challenge. It was a nice pick-me-up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A fabulous exercise in bending and stretching...thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I felt quite at home doing this because I very often distort the patterns I choose. My main problem was distorting deliberately rather than following my eye, and I'll have to think some more about the shading. Thanks for the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, this is my very first entry to the challenge. Hopefully I added the correct URL to my blog. I am very excited to participate in the challenges. I have been following all you wonderful artists for a while and have enjoyed seeing the massive amount of creativity each entry shows. I look forward to joining in and accepting the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  11. so curves and grooves and warps and whoops!...really my silly personality shouldn't be encouraged....I have always enjoyed being just a bit off the path. This week I started out with the String thing challenge and ended up doing something I thought would be more appropriate for THIS challenge! oh well...now I get to ( lol... have to) do something else for the string thing!. drat it all....

    ReplyDelete
  12. I thought this challenge would be right up my alley, because I often use grid-based patterns on curves. But as usual, when something is offered up as a challenge, it gets a little harder to do. I'm not overly happy with my tile, (I think I tried too hard) but there's still time to do another. Yours, on the other hand, is really great. Just what the challenge calls for.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love reading about your children each week, thank you. My mind seems to work in straight lines so this really is a challenge for me x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi! I've posted my tiles for a little while here, but thought I'd officially announce that I just started a Zentangle-specific blog (especially since I'm going to become a CZT in June!). Hope you come visit. :) http://linecircledot.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and my tile up there in the Mr Linky is #67 :)

      Delete
  15. I had so much fun that I had to do it again. The photos of the second one (#76) were taken under black light. The result is just what I was hoping for. Thanks, Laura, again for posting the challenge every week.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I tried something COMPLETELY different and it was fun. :D Thanks for these!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you so much for these weekly challenges!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm having lots of fun looking at everyone's tangles. For some reason my blog is not working, so I can't put anything on it. Bummers.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you for another fantastic challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks Laura again for a tricky challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for organizing this weekly challenges. I can imagine you have a lot of work making the slideshows. I thought I would go through all entries in an hour, but it's taking much much longer than that. So thanks again for taking the time to give everyone so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  22. After struggling with my first tile for this challenge, I thought it would be easier the second time around. It was, but just barely. I hope the next one will be more user friendly for me.

    ReplyDelete
  23. It was fun! But I'm not yet sure about my shading!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks again for all that you do!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sorry I misread the instruction. But wanted to submit anyway spent some time doing it. I really appreciate your challenges and will try to do better at following the directions

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks for the challenge Laura! I love curved lines!

    ReplyDelete

tangle me some zen, baby!!