Monday, August 27, 2012

Weekly Challenge #84

Happy Monday everyone!
First of all, as always - a few house keeping items:
  • If you're NEW here (and there've been a lot of new additions to the party!) I'm working on creating some tutorials to help you out.  You can click on the links above or:  See "Getting Started"  and "Tutorials
  • To see all the past weekly challenges - click the tab above, or follow this link
  • Please grab the button for the Weekly Challenge (on the right  sidebar) to display on your blogs! share the fun!
  • The limit of submissions to the slideshow is TWO, but please feel free to post as many as you like to your blogs.  I will take the first two presented to each challenge.
  • and i want to say a very extra special big heart felt thank you to everyone who donated funds.  I continue to be amazed by the generosity of spirit of this wonderful community.  HUGS!
Welcome back everyone!!

What a crazy week.  Thank you, everyone, for your understanding when i was on vacation - and then for your good thoughts and vibes while Artoo was recovering in the hospital.  Like i said, the fun never stops at Casa Diva.  ;)

It's seems like it's been so long!  Let's catch up, then, shall we?  GET READY! it's gonna be an image heavy post. 

So - my brother, with whom i'm very close, lives with his girlfriend in Victoria, BC.  That's over 1,600 km from home (or +1000 miles).  We don't see him very often, in fact the last time he was home was shortly after Artoo was born.  Almost 2 years ago. 

I decided to go out and visit him, and while i was there i'd spend a few days in Vancouver with a friend from school.  This was a solo trip.  Sans babies.  Sans B-rad.  All by my lonesome, only it wasn't lonesome, it was awesome.

The prairies by air

The Rocky Mountains by air
 My friend in Vancouver had to work, so i was left to my own devices to roam around his apartment...

My buddy in Vancouver is a big comic fan, so while i was there,
i got my NERD on!!! CAPTAIN AMERICA!!!
 Have a good laugh with these guys.....
Public Art - huge welded laughing dudes
 And spend some time on the beach, catching rays and painting in my journal.  Ah, bliss.

while attempting to take this picture, i dropped my paints into the sand.  good times.
 Lucky for me, my friend lives literally 4 BLOCKS from the beach in downtown Vancouver.

More public art: Inukshuk
 After visiting, on my way to the train to catch the ferry to the island, i saw this big metal box and i had to take a picture of it for you guys, cuz i'm sweet like that.

Found Zentangle art in downtown Vancouver
The ride to the island was pretty.  The hour and a half ferry ride was chilly, as it was overcast all the way there. 

Riding the ferry to the island
My brother was waiting to meet me on the other side!  It was so nice to see him!  (Say Hello Patrick!!)

My and my little brother - i'm very excited to be there.
 We hung out and chatted while watching his girlfriend's softball game.... then we all (Patrick, Carly, Me and their roommate) went out for supper at a sweet Micro Brewery and Pub where i had to try all the beer...
One of each, please.
I'm not going to bore you with the details of how i attempted to keep up with those youngsters... i don't drink very often, but it seemed i made up for it this night. ....ahem...blush....moving on.

 The next day i met with this lovely lady for lunch!
We've been friends for almost twenty years
She and i met back when i was 13 when she would visit her grandparents for the summer.  We've been friends ever since, keeping in contact by letters... then eventually by facebook... she's one of those cherished people in my life.  Someone who it's easy to be with.  The last time we saw each other was at my wedding almost 8 years ago.  She drove from Powell River to the Ferry at the north of the island, then drove 3 hours to Victoria... just to MEET ME FOR LUNCH!?? i heart her.

after lunch we wandered in back alleys (pictured above) and through Chinatown.
beautiful
Then in order to catch the ferry home, she had to leave.  Hopefully it won't take us 8 years to visit again.

My brother Patrick then took me to see this totem pole
The totem pole? It's very big.... can you see me??
 It was carved by Mungo Martin, my aunt's grandfather, and it was very cool.
Here's a close up of the bottom.
My last day in Victoria i received a text from B-rad telling me he was taking Artoo to the ER because he wasn't breathing very well.  So, i spent a frantic morning trying to change my flights to come home sooner, but it didn't pan out.  My brother and his girlfriend were both working - luckily their roommate is like a little brother to me too.  So he took me to get coffee, then bought me lunch, and then took me to the ocean to help me pass the day without constantly worrying about things i couldn't change.... (Being stuck in Victoria while my baby was in the hospital)
I could have stayed here all day

My toes in the water, the beach is all pebbles - no sand.
After a long day, my brother dropped me off at the airport in the evening to fly home.... but the universe had other plans... and by a series of events our flight was delayed over an hour, then i missed my connecting flight in Calgary and spent 2 hours in a hotel (Arrived at the hotel at 2:30, had to be back at the airport by 6 am...yay) and made it home around 8 am the next day.  My mom picked me up, dropped me off at home where i grabbed a quick shower then went straight to the hospital where Artoo was on oxygen.

He came home Thursday night, then Friday after work B-rad took Chewie out to the lake and i stayed home with Artoo.  It's been crazy.  Phew!  But, i think we're all caught up. 

If you've made it this far, congratulations!! Let's have the Challenge, shall we?

Weekly Challenge #84: "String Theory v. XI: Blind-Sighted"


This week's challenge is to close your eyes.  More specifically, to close your eyes and draw a string.  A blind string. 

before
This is particularly challenging, because it's really about handing over the control... which i apparently don't really like. ;)

However, there is also something kind of liberating about letting go of that control.  When you open your eyes, it's a creative challenge to do something with the MESS of the string you made with your eyes closed. 
after

NOW! Go forth my pretties!  Close your eyes, create your string blind - then see what you can do with it.  :D  and don't worry about the control, it's all an illusion anyway. 
If you have a blog, add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here)

Also,  please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;)

If you don't have a blog but still want to participate, you can email your tile to me and i will post it here. (See the contact tab above for my email address).  The deadline for each weekly challenge is Saturday night so that i can round everyone up by Sunday. What this means is that i will stop adding tiles to the slideshow on Sunday. You're still more than welcome to do the challenges and add your name to the linkey machine. 
Hey - i should note here quickly that i try my best to get the slideshows up in a timely fashion, but sometimes my life gets in the way (like when Artoo spends a week in the hospital, just for example) so, please be patient.  thanks.  HUG
I will be more diligent with the linkey machine - by editing out the ones that don't work, the doubles, the links that lead to nowhere, the links that go just to blog home pages (this is why we need those site specific urls), and the spam. And there is some spam.  PLEASE do not put your *home* page in the linkey machine... please? for me??

26 comments:

  1. Vancouver is a beautiful place! My hubby and I visited there several years ago and I would love to go back. Thanks for sharing your photos with us. The challenge this week was fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you are back and that you had a fun time! I am also happy that Artoo is home and feeling better. Your photos really are fantastic. What a fun challenge......I will find myself playing with blind strings all week! I love your tiles....they are spacially fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome Back! Oh wow! you have had a week full of ups and downs. So glad that Artoo is out of hospital and is much better, I can only imagine how you must have been feeling with the situation out of your control - he was in the best care. On a lighter note, your pics are great, looks like your week was chock full of sight seeing and catch up! lovely pic of you and your brother (you do look alike :)). Your tiles are really nice too, great tangles! Thanks again for taking time out of your busy life to organise these challenges for us - much appreciated. I hope you have a lovely week :) SMILES from OZ :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the pictures of your trip! That tangled bin was impressive. I keep looking at that aerial picture of the plains too thinking there's a tangle in there.

    I loved this challenge. It's my first time posting here, but not my first time following along. Here's something I wrote on my blog: I've been thinking it would be interesting to do a blind tile--not just a blind string. If it's about the process and not necessarily the product, it should work. Granted, it would be a pretty messy tile, but it would be interesting to see if it would be freeing to not have to think about which tangle fits into a specific spot. Maybe I'll try that next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I decided to try a blind tile too after this challenge. Here's my info about how it went and the end result: http://momzenartist.blogspot.com/2012/08/blind-tangling.html. It was interesting to try!

      Delete
  5. Laura, glad you had fun on your vacation, you and your family so deserve it!The trip pix are amazing.

    Missed doing your challenge last week but it was a great opportunity to check out other creative outlets for the week. It's great to have you back!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Done.
    Looks like you had a lovely holiday! Thanks for the challenge once again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great visit with your friends and family! I love the west coast - my sister used to live a couple of blocks from the beach in Van too - absolutely beautiful place! Glad you enjoyed, and am very glad that Artoo is home & doing better. Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I put the wrong url! Please delete it for me! Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Had fun with this one. I love using random strings.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are so much fun, can't Wait until next week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Being new to this I'd never heard of a 'blind' string but had to have a go anyway!! Always something new to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, that was a lot more fun than I figured it would be! This is my first challenge and, wow, it was an interesting one! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So glad you're home with your sweet boys and I pray Artoo is getting stronger every day! Thanks for a great challenge this week, Laura!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'am glad you're around again. I hope everything turns to be right with Artoo.
    Thanks for the great challenge this week. And I'm looking forward for the next weeks challenge. I love them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this challenge! Looking forward to next week! The second name is the URL for this challenge. Sorry for the confusion. I have asked Laura to delete the first one!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the pics and glad you got to 'run away from home' for a few days to recharge your batteries!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love seeing all your travel photos, Laura. Your tangles are so whimsical and fun! I love the "tail" with a shadow in the first one, and the "belt" down through the middle. In the second it feels like a Picasso fruit painting. I like the off-center squares.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just started following your challenges and I'm finding them fun and also difficult, but I like the challenge. As I'm learning more about the whole Zentangling artform, I'm finding it very relaxing. It's forcing me to let go and give in to randomness which is very difficult for a perfectionist, with an OCD, tight grip on things to do.

    ReplyDelete
  19. uploaded daletta's take on #84

    ReplyDelete
  20. Loved, loved, loved this challenge! First week of college was this week, so in between studying I would take Zentangle breaks!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sorry, I am really late this week! Hope everyone in your family is feeling better. Your vacation looked like a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I know I'm super late to post, but I just felt like participating anyway. Hope everyone is enjoying the weekend. =)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am also very late, for a retired person I seem to have been quite busy!!! But probably last but not least. Thanks Laura, I hope Artoo has been much better this week.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm very glad to see that I'm not the only one posting late this week! Loved all the pictures, Laura! As always, I'm sending healthy vibes to Artoo!

    ReplyDelete
  25. A complete newbie to Zentangling Ive just discovered these challeneges. I do hope my piece is worth an entry...so many talented people out here who inspire me every single day...:)

    ReplyDelete

tangle me some zen, baby!!