Monday, August 13, 2012

Weekly Challenge #83

Happy Monday everyone!
First of all, as always - a few house keeping items:
  • If you're NEW here (and there've been a lot of new additions to the party!) I'm working on creating some tutorials to help you out.  You can click on the links above or:  See "Getting Started"  and "Tutorials
  • To see all the past weekly challenges - click the tab above, or follow this link
  • Please grab the button for the Weekly Challenge (on the right  sidebar) to display on your blogs! share the fun!
  • The limit of submissions to the slideshow is TWO, but please feel free to post as many as you like to your blogs.  I will take the first two presented to each challenge.
  • and i want to say a very extra special big heart felt thank you to everyone who donated funds.  I continue to be amazed by the generosity of spirit of this wonderful community.  HUGS!
Welcome back everyone.  I apologize for the real LACK of content in my posts. It feels like this summer is just zooming by - and our summers are so short in Saskatchewan.  Also, looming over the horizon is the dreaded day when i will have to go back to work in October.  :( 

So, we've been spending as much time as possible outside, while the weather is still good.  Dare i say it - the leaves are starting to turn yellow already!?!!


Chewie and Grandpa help build the play centre with B-rad

At the beginning of August we bought a play centre for the backyard on sale, and that has been worth every penny... both boys love it, but especially Artoo.  We taught him the sign for 'swing' and some days he wakes up from naps signing "Swing! swing!"  so cute. 
Artoo and i say Hello! (Also, my hair is short)

Play centre, at capacity!!

Chewie has now mastered the fine art of climbing up the slide, and he's quite proud of himself for that.  He still hasn't figured out that he shouldn't walk in front of a moving swing, but a few more collisions with the baby swing and i'm sure he'll figure it out.


My parents also bought a used camp trailer this summer, partly because my dad would like to retire and drive around seeing the country in a camp trailer so this is their 'starter' to see if they like it enough to get a really nice one, and partly because with Artoo's special needs they want us to be able to feel safe camping with them... 
Chewie can't wait to catch some minnows

my wonderful mother was bound and determined to get me camping this year - so Mom and Dad drove the camper out to a nearby site and set it all up for one night so that i could go out there with the boys (while B-rad was at work), Dad went home for the night and mom and i and the boys had a campfire and went to the beach.  it was fun.  Artoo loves the water, and after some coaxing - Chewie did too. 
Beach Baby!
 This week we've been lucky to have our beautiful niece staying with us for a week.  She's been wonderful - Chewie and Artoo have been having a ball playing with her.   She and i are doing a 'trade' as it were... 1 week of distraction babysitting visiting for Justin Bieber tickets in October.  I'm totally getting the better end of the bargain.  ;)

Chewie loves his big girl cousin
 I had attempted to watch the meteor shower Saturday night... it was so cold (12C/54F) and i was being eaten alive by mosquitoes...

Don't i look cozy?  (Also, NEW GLASSES!!)
I saw 15 shooting stars in the 1.5 hours that i laid out there.  I hear there's better chance to see them on Sunday night....

Okay - have you all seen enough pics? LOL
on with the Challenge.

Weekly Challenge #83: DuoTangle v. V: Assunta/Mooka
Mooka and Assunta are both tangles that i have to admit... i'm not a fan of.  To be honest, i probably haven't even done Assunta since it was released in the Zentangle newsletter... and this is partly why i've made these two tangles the challenge for this week.

So, i started my tile with my border/string - and ugh - right away i hated it.  BUT - i think i've said this a few times before on this blog - my own PERSONAL CHALLENGE to myself on this blog is to always post the tile that i make... no do-overs...

i had to resist the urge to grab a new tile, or to erase this string that i didn't know how to fill with these two tangles that i find so tricky.
fighting the urge to start over - there are no mistakes
Anyway, i stuck to it - and here's my tile in all it's 'glory'.... not every tile can be a winner, i suppose. 
Mooktastic... Assuntawesome...

y'know, i think i could probably make Mooka my challenge for a whole year and i'd still never get to a place where i felt comfortable with this tangle.

Anyway, this week - i challenge you to create a tile, zendala, or ZIA using ONLY the two tangles MOOKA and ASSUNTA (click the links for their respective instructions)
If you have a blog, add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here)

Also,  please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;)

If you don't have a blog but still want to participate, you can email your tile to me and i will post it here. (See the contact tab above for my email address).  The deadline for each weekly challenge is Saturday night so that i can round everyone up by Sunday. What this means is that i will stop adding tiles to the slideshow on Sunday. You're still more than welcome to do the challenges and add your name to the linkey machine. 
Hey - i should note here quickly that i try my best to get the slideshows up in a timely fashion, but sometimes my life gets in the way (like when Artoo spends a week in the hospital, just for example) so, please be patient.  thanks.  HUG
I will be more diligent with the linkey machine - by editing out the ones that don't work, the doubles, the links that lead to nowhere, the links that go just to blog home pages (this is why we need those site specific urls), and the spam. And there is some spam.  PLEASE do not put your *home* page in the linkey machine... please? for me??

29 comments:

  1. Grumbling at you this morning Laura--really, Assunta??? Grrr....But, all the adorable pics of the boys makes up for it and I'll give it a shot...ugh!! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, sorry Dawn. lol

      if it's any consolation assunta makes me Grr too.

      Delete
  2. Just love your photos. Chewie looks like so cute in his glasses. Did he notice a big difference? Fun challenge this week. Thanks and enjoy that weather!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, I can't believe you don't love this tile you made, it looks so great. Very creative! Have fun camping....I tried it years ago and still think of our last time, how cool it was,.... but just don't have the patience for it anymore. I like staying at motels now.....but we're trying a cruise this year....starting next Monday!! woohoo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your mooka is beautifully done! And the assunta comes off in the background with just the right flavor. I found it so hard to marry the two patterns but I will find this challenge one that I work on all week because I want to conquer! Thanks so much for the challenges, they always stretch my abilities and I learn so much! Happy you are enjoying the beautiful days before the cold weather again descends!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks LeeAnn - but my mooka's never come of graceful and beautiful the way i want them too, instead, they remind of some kind of crazy tentacled sea creature... i just want them to be as lovely as Maria's... guess i should keep practicing.

      Delete
  5. Laura, thank you so much for these challenges. They have been a Godsend these past few weeks, since my daughter was in the hospital. I've always thought you were amazing to manage this along with Artoo's health issues, but now I am more impressed than ever. I'm sending another donation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Laura, just wanted to let you know that your "donate" button isn't working.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for your life snippets and your challenge. I'd never tried either tangle before so you pushed my boundaries once again. Sending kind thoughts your way always.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gee, you had me worried for a minute there. I thought you were actually going to come up with a really crummy tile. But, of course, it's just great, as per usual! I have problems with mooka too, and I've never tried assunta, so, yes, this should be a challenging challenge! Thanks for keeping it fresh, baby! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like your tile. I found the two tangles quite a challenge. Looks like everyone is enjoying their summer.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It sure is a tricky combination Mooka and Assunta, but I'm surprised how nice they go together.
    I think your tile is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You always do do such awesome tiles! Looks to me like you have mastered mooka and assunta! This was a real challenge, but fun. I have discovered mooka is lots of fun. Still struggle with them both though. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Laura, Thanks for pushing us with these challenges. It keeps us trying patterns we might not otherwise try. I think I finally have a handle on Mooka! I also wanted to say that I really enjoy seeing the work you put up. Your tile is really well done.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This was a complete waste of time for me. I don't think my heart was in it. Couldn't do it with any sort of flare. Couldn't think of any way to make it interesting. I know it's possible, because I saw some of all your efforts and they are wonderful. My mind was just a total blank on this tangle. Or these two tangles. I usually love Mooka, but I can tell you for sure, I do not like Assunta. Makes no sense to me. LOL! I may try this again when I have time. That's another problem. Catching myself coming and going and not having time to think things out. Missing zentangle a lot!! And all of you on here!!
    8/14/12

    ReplyDelete
  14. I especially love that long, slender Mooka on the corner of your tile, framing it so nicely. These two tangles were definitely off my radar, but now I've warmed up to them. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It feels so good to get back into the creative Groove. Thanks for the inspiration everyone! Love your blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow Laura, you have mastered assunta beautifully! Love your new glasses, they are super stylish!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Laura, whilst I have completed a few of your challenges in the past, it's always been weeks (or years) after they'd been set.
    By choosing two tangles you're not comfortable with, you've reminded me that this is a challenge, and that the beauty of a challenge is successfully coming out the other side, even if it's not easy.
    So my new challenge to myself is to complete your weekly challenges on time... and complete all the one's I've not done yet!
    Thank you Laura :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Laura.
    So much fun zentangling, also seeing you and your family on foto's! Sharing ups en downs!
    So have a good time with your own family and your tangle friends all over the world!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your tile is beautiful, Laura! You have mastered both of these tangles. I still struggle with Assunta, but glad you forced me to try it again and I was surprised how good it looks with Mooka. Great challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I like your challenges. I have only 2 weeks ago heard about zentangle and i'm already addicted. So I have tryed challenge nr 83 and I like the result. thank you!! I never thought I could draw things like this.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This was a tough challenge for me. I am still what I would consider a Zentangle "beginner". Assunta is a new pattern for me, and I really needed to work with this one. After several attempts and when all was said and done, I came to understand why Rick & Maria say that Assunta is related to Cadent. I was happy to make that connection. I enjoy Cadent, and when I made that connection, Assunta took on a different feel. That being said, using only these two patterns gave my tangles a "messy" feel, which was unsettling. The tile I eventually chose to contribute is much simpler and tried my hand at better utilizing shading. Thanks for the challenge. I really learned some things this week.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love all the happy pictures this week, Laura. (OK, maybe the last one isn't quite so happy. :)) Thanks for a fun challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Recently discovered tangling - enjoying it lots

    ReplyDelete
  24. I learned that my spacial imaging is off...a LOT

    ReplyDelete

tangle me some zen, baby!!